Green Tomato Relish is the result of a bounty of tomatoes from our garden. It seemed as though the garden was never going to give up producing tomatoes, so I decided to can some of the green ones into a wonderful relish for hot dogs or white beans.
I even broke down and bought myself a food processor to aide in the chopping of all the vegetables and I must say, it helped immensely!
- 4 quarts cored, chopped green tomatoes (about 32 medium)
- 2 quarts chopped cabbage (about 1 large head)
- 2 cups chopped sweet red peppers (about 4 medium)
- 1 cup chopped onions
- ½ cup salt
- 3 cups light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons mustard seed
- 4½ cups vinegar
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- Sprinkle salt over vegetables and mix thoroughly, let stand 3 to 4 hours. Drain thoroughly. Press to remove excess liquid.
- Add sugar, spices, horseradish, and red pepper flakes to vinegar, simmer 15 minutes.
- Add vegetables and heat to boiling. Pack hot into hot pint jars, leaving ¼-inch head space. Adjust lids.
- Process 10 minutes in boiling water bath.