All my life I have eaten Fried Green Tomatoes. As a child, I have enjoyed them from my mom and dad’s garden and now that I am an adult, I enjoy them from our garden.
Fried Green Tomatoes
Another southern favorite...Fried Green Tomatoes. These crispy discs of tomato are delicious as a side at a Sunday Dinner or as an appetizer, dipped in Ranch dressing.
Recipe type: Sides
Yield: 4 servings
- Oil for frying
- 4-5 green tomatoes, cut into ¼-inch slices
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1½ cup Panko bread crumbs
- Pinch ground red pepper
- Pinch paprika
- Salt and black pepper
- Season the tomato slices on both sides with salt and pepper. Place flour and garlic powder in a shallow dish.
- In another shallow dish, beat eggs with the milk.
- In a third shallow dish, mix bread crumbs with ground red pepper and paprika. Dredge tomato slices through the flour mixture, then the egg mixture, and then through the bread crumb mixture.
- Add only a few slices at a time to a non-stick skillet with hot oil. Cook about 2 to 3 minutes on each side. Drain on paper towels.