These tender and flaky scones really have nothing to do with the great singer Elvis Presley, except that his favorite sandwich was peanut butter and banana. I had one banana in the kitchen that I needed to use, which inspired me to make these Peanut Butter & Banana Scones.
While waiting for the scones to bake, I thought about how Elvis loved peanut butter and banana sandwiches and that is where I came up with the name of these scones. They are very delicious and I loved how my kitchen smelled as they were baking!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground allspice
- 5 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ½ cup mashed banana
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ⅓ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper; set aside. In the bowl of a stand mixer, stir togehter the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt, cinnamon, and allspice. Add the butter and toss with a fork to coat with flour. Mix on medium-low until it resembles coarse cornmeal.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the mashed banana, 2 tablespoons peanut butter, and cream. Fold banana mixture into flour mixture until it starts to pull together.
- With floured hand, press dough into an 8-inch round. Cut the dough into 8 wedges. Place the wedges on the prepared pan and bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the tops are light brown. Transfer to a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the glaze by mixing the powdered sugar, milk, and remaining peanut butter until smooth. Drizzle over scones and enjoy!