This version of Lasagna is one that I have made for many years, but really have never had a written recipe. I thought I would share my old time favorite with you.
Lasagna is a pasta lovers dream!
Recipe type: Main
Yield: 10-12 servings
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 12 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (25-ounce) jar tomato spaghetti sauce
- 1 (6.5-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 egg
- 1 cup Small Curd cottage cheese
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- Salt and pepper, to taste plus salt for pasta water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Prepare a 9 x 13-inch baking dish by greasing the bottom and sides with shortening or non-stick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, fill ⅔ full with cold water and add two big pinches of salt. Bring the water to a full rolling boil and insert the lasagna noodles, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Cook until just before the noodles are tender; drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile in a large skillet, brown the ground beef until no pink remains; drain off fat. Add the spaghetti sauce, onion, garlic, mushrooms, egg, cottage cheese, salt and pepper.
- To assemble the lasagna, place four noodles on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Place ⅓ of the spaghetti sauce mixture and spread to completely cover the noodles. Sprinkle with ½ cup mozzarella cheese. Repeat the layers two more times. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted and the lasagna is bubbly.