Calico Beans are “not your mama’s baked beans!” For obvious reasons, they get their name “Calico” from the fact that there are three different types of beans in the dish with three different colors. The preparation is a little more intense than ordinary baked beans, but well worth the effort!
Try them and you will like them!
- 2 medium onions, coarsely chopped
- 5 bacon strips, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup Dark brown sugar
- ½ cup Apple Cider vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon Spicy Brown mustard
- 2 cans (15.25-ounce each) Lima beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (15-ounce each) Pork & beans, undrained
- 1 can (16-ounce) Kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a large skillet, saute onions, bacon, and garlic until the onions are tender. Remove all the fat except one tablespoon. Add brown sugar, vinegar, and mustard; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Stir in beans. Transfer to a 3-quart baking dish.
- Cover and bake for 1 hour or until completely heated through. Serve warm.