Does the sound of a Kraut Salad turn you off? Rise above your fears (and your ears)!
This colorful and tasty Kraut Salad is a sweet & sour side that goes well with most anything from a hot dog to a pork chop. The recipe incorporates the items that most cooks already have in their pantry or refrigerator and takes little time to put together. The one thing that is hard to do is wait the two days before eating it.
Try this wonderful salad as a compliment to a sandwich or as a side dish for dinner.
- 1 quart sauerkraut, drained
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 Green Bell pepper, chopped
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimiento, drained
- 1 teaspoon mustard seed
- 1½ cups white sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- In a large bowl, mix together sauerkraut, onion, celery, bell pepper, carrot, pimientos, and mustard seed. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, mix together sugar, oil, and vinegar. Bring to a boil. Remove from the heat and pour mixture over salad, cover, and leave in the refrigerator for two days before serving.