Before I married the Hubby, I had only had Strawberry Shortcake with the little golden cake discs manufactured by Hostess. On occasion, I would bake up a Yellow Cake Mix to be the cake in a Strawberry Shortcake.
I remember the look on my face when we went to his mother’s for Sunday dinner during strawberry season and she had pie crust as the cake in Strawberry Shortcake. I kept thinking, “where is the cake?” “I have never heard of Strawberry Short-pie Crust, but I tried it and surprisingly like it very much. So in honor of my mother-in-law, I created this Southern-Style Strawberry Shortcake post.
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, sliced
- ¼ cup white sugar
- 1 frozen pie crust (from a 15-ounce box of two)
- Additional white sugar
- Whipped cream
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place one pie crust on a baking stone or sheet pan and lightly sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 to 18 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.
- Meanwhile, sprinkle the sliced strawberries with ¼ cup sugar and let stand for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Break the pie crust up into medium-sized pieces and place in bowl with berries and whipped cream.