Yet another version of Broccoli soup, only better! We love a good Potato Soup and we love a good Broccoli and Cheese Soup, but if you put them together, you get an awesome Cheesy Broccoli and Potato Soup!
To me soups are number one in the comfort food category and I love all kinds. A warm and hearty bowl of soup wraps it’s arms around you and gives you a big comforting hug on a cool Autumn evening. It was a cloudy, rainy day and when it came time to leave work, it was even damp feeling. All the way home I kept thinking, “what kind of soup could I put together for Dinner tonight?” I came in and began rummaging through my refrigerator and pantry. This Cheesy Broccoli and Potato Soup was the result of my thinking. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 (14.5-ounce) cans chicken broth
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups broccoli florets
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 3 cups Sharp Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In Dutch oven, melt butter and add onions; cook, until tender, about 3 minutes. Stir in flour and cook for an additional 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
- Whisk in 1 can of broth and simmer until thickened, stirring occasionally. Add remaining can of broth and the potatoes, stirring to combine. Cover and cook on medium heat until potatoes are tender; add broccoli and milk. Cover and cook an additional 10-12 minutes until broccoli is tender.
- Add cheese and stir until melted. Stir in lemon juice and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve hot.