The winter storm is coming, the winter storm is coming! And boy IS it coming (or so the weather forecasters predict). It is quite the build up on the local news channel and my feelings would not be hurt if they were wrong. I do not like to drive on ice and snow. I admit…I am a wimp!
We were at the barn with a sick mare after work and got into the house a little later than normal. However, I was determined to make Beef Stroganoff for dinner and managed to pull it off in spite of all the hub bub going on. It turned out delicious and here is the recipe:
- 2 pounds beef chuck roast, cut into ½-inch strips
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 4 ounces butter
- 4 green onions, sliced (white parts only)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can Beef Consomme' soup, undiluted
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 1 (6.5-ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- ⅓ cup sour cream
- ⅓ cup chicken broth
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Rice or egg noodles, cooked
- Season beef strips with salt and pepper. In a large skillet, melt butter and brown the beef. Remove beef from skillet and add the onions; cook for 3-5 minutes. Remove onions from skillet.
- Stir in flour and pour in soup and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Lower the heat and stir in the mustard. Add the beef and onions back to the skillet, cover and simmer for 1 hour or until the meat is tender.
- Five minutes before serving, stir in the mushrooms, sour cream, chicken broth, salt, and pepper.
- Serve over cooked rice or noodles and garnish with chopped parsley.