Many of you may have seen the concept of this breakfast novelty called Eggs in a Cloud. I have featured Eggs in a Basket in a prior post which you can see here, but this variation of an egg and toast combination is slightly different. And I love a good egg, don’t you? What am I saying…I love breakfast for dinner!
Just between you and me (don’t tell anyone), I have decided the older I get the more I think I am losing it! On the drive home from work (unless I still have an important project weighing on my mind), I am thinking about what I have to do once I get home and one of the things is dinner. As I was zipping down the road, I could envision the inside of my pantry and was 100% positive that there was a loaf of bread inside.
Guess what? Once I finally got around to checking the pantry I realized that my memory was not as sharp as I thought…there was NO bread! Oh no! What now? One of the best things for dinner is breakfast, especially on a night when you need a little comforting, whether the need is due to the weather or just plain having a bad day at work.
Well, as it turned out, I needed to make a quick trip to my mother’s house for a different reason, so I stopped in at the local family grocery store. It is a little mom and pop shop that is quaint and convenient.
- 2 slices whole wheat bread
- 2 slices pre-cooked ham
- 2 slices Baby Swiss cheese
- 2 large eggs, separated
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- Lightly toast bread slices and place on a sheet pan lined with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat egg whites in a mixing bowl until fluffy and stiff peaks have formed. Mound egg whites on top of each slice of bread, forming a well in the center. Slide an egg yolk into the center of each egg white well.
- Place sheet pan in the center of the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the egg whites are lightly golden and egg yolks are just set.
- Remove sheet pan from oven and serve warm.
Even though I was a bit under the weather, I was confident that a satisfying dinner would help the cause! And I was right, by the time I went to bed I was feeling a bit better.
The next time you think you might want breakfast food for dinner, I encourage you to try Eggs in a Cloud paired with bacon and orange juice. Yum!