Do you know the feeling of craving something so bad that it is all you can think about? Today’s craving was Italian. I had all the ingredients on hand and even had homemade spaghetti sauce (see recipe here) in my freezer, so it was really a “no brainer”…Baked Spaghetti cured the latest craving!
I have been nursing my oldest Golden Retriever, Bailey back to normal after a serious surgery to remove a large mass that turned out to be the “C” word. Even though Bailey is a sweet and well behaved boy, it is a bit different with him being under foot while I cook. He is typically an outside dog but I felt the need to keep an eye on him while he healed. In spite of stepping over him, what felt like a hundred times, I managed to put together a delicious dinner of Baked Spaghetti.
Here is how I did it:
- 2 cups Spaghetti Sauce of your choice (I used homemade)
- 8-ounces Angel Hair pasta or pasta of your choice
- 2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 tablespoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Farenheit.
- In a large saucepan, fill with water and salt. Once the water is boiling, drop in the pasta; stirring to prevent sticking. Cook to just before done. Drain and return to the saucepan.
- Add spaghetti sauce and stir to coat pasta with the sauce. Add beaten egg and Mozzarella cheese (reserving ½ cup for the top).
- Coat baking dish bottom and sides with non-stick cooking spray; add pasta mixture to dish. Top with remaining ½ cup Mozzarella and the Parmesan cheese.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove foil and bake 10 additional minutes or until the cheese turns a light brown.
- Serve warm with salad and crusty bread.
I hope you enjoy this recipe the next time you have an “Italian” craving! 🙂