Does it snow where you live? Kentucky does not have a lot of bad winter events, but occasionally we get a winter storm that brings ice, sleet, and snow. I live far enough from my work place that inclement weather sometimes poses a problem and creates a driving hazard. Since I am not the bravest driver in the land, I opted to call today a snow day and stay home.
When it is doing this outside, I am in my kitchen cooking and baking up a storm! So I am declaring today a Snow Day in my Kitchen!
It has been raining Triple Chocolate Chip Cookies, Seafood Gumbo, and Everything Biscuits in my kitchen! Admit it, there is only so much television a person can watch. When I am bored, I take my boredom to the kitchen to see how creative I can get. The creativity comes from cooking and/or baking good food using only the items I have in my pantry or refrigerator. Obviously, I could not (nor did I want to) go to the grocery store today with roads covered with sleet and snow, so I improvised.
I have posted my Seafood Gumbo before, but I have never posted my Everything Biscuits. I think a snow day is the perfect time to whip up a batch of biscuits to accompany delicious food…don’t you agree?
For your enjoyment and convenience the Everything Biscuits recipe is below:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegetable shortening
- ⅞ cup buttermilk
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon Everything seasoning
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees Farenheit. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in large bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender, until mixture has a cornmeal consistency. Blend in buttermilk using a fork.
- Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead dough 6-7 times, just until smooth. Roll dough into a 7-inch circle, about ½ to ¾-inch thick. Using a floured 2-inch biscuit cutter, cut out 7 to 8 biscuits.
- Place biscuits in a baking pan so that the edges of the biscuits almost touch. Beat the egg in a small bowl with a splash of water to create an egg wash. Brush the biscuit tops with the egg wash and sprinkle with the Everything seasoning.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until golden brown.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for “Everything Biscuits”.
Happy snow day! Burrr!
Ronda from All Things Home Related!